Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ideas for the competition and the website

Here's the place to post if you want to make suggestions for new features on the website, or new rules/ideas for the game itself.

The last change made was the introduction of the PL Cup competition which came in about 8 years ago (there have been 16 competitions so far). Personally I have always thought it was (is) a great addition and a perfect compliment to the League competition.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR
1. I'm looking for ideas regarding the layout of the website, I HATE frames and am working on a new site which doesn't have them, they really really really really p*** me off! Sorry for the digression there, I am always fiddling about with the look of the website (when I should be fiddling about with the content), so any (budding) graphic designers out there, drop me a note.

2. I'm looking for new features to add to the site. As part of the above mentioned project, I am also working on implementing much more detailed statistics. From being able to view previous week's league table (which was a hastily and clunkily added recent addition) to displaying a list of stats based on what has been predicted for matches so far on the home page. I see this as cycling through the 10 fixtures showing averages of home and away scores, or perhaps numbers of '2-1' and '1-1' etc etc scores.

OTHER IDEAS / COMPETITION IDEAS
I'm also looking for ideas for improving the competition itself. It hasn't changed much, as I mentioned above. One thing which has been pointed out a couple of times, was the unfairness of the scoring system in relation to draws. What I mean is, if you predict someone to win 2-1, and they actually win 3-1, you get 5 points for getting the right result, plus a bonus 2 points for getting one of the team's scores right. Whereas if you predict a 1-1 draw and it's a 2-2 draw, you just get the five points, with no chance of making up any extra points. I think, generally, it's harder to predict a draw, so perhaps you should automatically get 7 points if you get a draw, but the wrong score. Or maybe 6? Or maybe it's OK as it is? Have a think about that one.....

On the past, people have discussed the likes of a form of Champions League competition, whereby depending on how well you finished in one competition, you could go forward into it to run concurrently with the next one, but there are problems with this; people, for whatever reason, may drop out of the league, how do we score points for this, do we actually run it predicting Champions League matches, or in addition to the league, which means points scored will count for League, PL Cup and Champions League some weeks. Actually, the more I think about this, the more of an administrative nightmare it seems to be.....what do you think?

No comments: